“How Can I Become a Therapist for Deaf People?”

Because I use American Sign Language with some of my clients, I am often asked how a therapist can welcome Deaf clients into their practices. The original sc…

1. laurapaulson1975 says:

Thank you for posting this informative video! I’m a therapist, who would
    like to work with deaf clients. In terms of experience, I have the second
    component you spoke (signed) of, the therapy and training: I’m a California
    Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist. I currently specialize in treating
    Body Dysmorphic Disorder and related OC spectrum disorders, but would also
    like to work with deaf clients. Admittedly, I’m only a beginning ASL
    student, having only taken ASL 1. I also attend a sign language club at a
    local university and volunteer at deaf community events (through GLAD,
    Inc.). My goal is to continue learning ASL until I’m fluent, and learn
    more about Deaf culture, so that eventually, I can work with deaf clients.
    Thank you again for posting this video. I feel inspired.

2. ASCDEAF says:

Thanks for making this video and for emphasizing the importance of
    therapists being fluent in ASL when working with Deaf clients. ASL is
    definitely not a language anyone can pick up after a few classes – like any
    language, it is always changing. A therapist who is part of the Deaf
    community and who has Deaf friends will be more fluent and knowledgeable
    about Deaf people.

3. Mental Health Network says:

Hi, yes, depending on the state or national license the therapist has,
    “telemedicine” is allowed and this includes videophones, Skype, Facetime,
    etc. In my case, being licensed in CA, I am only able to work with others
    in CA. Depending on the license and the therapist, this may be different
    for others.

4. ASCDEAF says:

Thank you for your kind words!

5. ASCDEAF says:

(2) As Deaf therapists, we do recommend referring Deaf clients to Deaf
    therapists first, before bringing in an interpreter for sessions. Direct
    communication is always more effective than having a third-party present in
    the therapy session.

6. Marlene Medina says:

Thank you for your advice! I’ve shared this video with ASL students that I
    know want to service the Deaf population in the future. :)

7. beccala1985 says:

It would be useful since Junior has a deaf aunt and uncle

8. Mental Health Network says:

Berkers, I think you should take an ASL class. You’d probably love it!

9. Mental Health Network says:

Hi Denise, The script for the video is right below the video, in the
    downbar :-)

10. beccala1985 says:

You are so awesome for being able to do this :)

11. Denise Johnson says:

I would like to know if this video could be captioned? Or do you have a
    script for this video? I would like to make sure this video is accessible
    to everyone. I hope you can help me before I can share your excellent
    video. Thank you!

12. yang says:

I wonder do they allow u do practice to help Deaf people in any Usa thru
    video phone ? Bec not many who know use Asl to help out their location area?

13. Mental Health Network says:

Thank you so much…I am a huge fan of your excellent videos!