Aug

‘PEER PRESSURE’ by Peter Walker, NAADAC approved CEUS

Peter Walker is a licensed substance abuse counselor based in Cary, NC. This video is entitled, ‘PEER PRESSURE’, and is accredited for CEU (Continuing Educat…

1. scott evans says:

Peer pressure is especially an issue with adolescents. However, for all of
    humanity we experience an inward drive to seek acceptance from others. Out
    of that desire we engage in behaviors that may or may not be in line with
    our values to be able to receive that acceptance. We need to teach others
    and ourselves how to achieve self-acceptance and acceptance from a higher
    power to sustain a level of integrity that will allow us to follow the best
    in others in line with our values.

2. Christa Capua says:

Kids will be greatly influenced by parents verbal and non-verbal messages,
    lifestyle, etc. Further kids (and all people really) are likely to identify
    in an often unconscious way the “alphas” among their peers and will seek
    affirmation from those people and also mimic them. Important to teach kids
    critical thinking – admiring one persons abilities or attributes may not
    mean that in other areas they will make good role models.

3. Anna bowens says:

I agree with the notion of teaching our younger generation to distinguish
    between admiring someone for their attractive qualities and copying someone
    just because they have attractive qualities.

4. Mollie Sandor says:

Peter, I’m finding it hard to articulate my thoughts on this video. As an
    individual I believe I have very strong personal moral convictions, and I
    would like to believe they are honest, superior and admirable. Yet I can’t
    help but think about that person standing next to me who believes the same
    things about him/herself, yet are strongly opposed to my beliefs of
    conviction as being honest or admirable. Who is right and who is wrong, or
    are we both right? Do I encourage a peer to follow the road they see as
    being moral as being the right road, even though I don’t agree. As a
    counselor with a set of values, working with a client with a different set
    of values, am I a hypocrite if I encourage him or her to follow values
    which I don’t see as honest, superior or admirable? It reminds me of what
    I heard as a youth – do as I say, not as I do. Different values for
    different persons for different situations – what is and what is not right?

5. Jason Wesson says:

Peer pressure is so overwhelming, especially to young minds. It is so easy
    to want to be important, seen, and thought of in a positive way, even if it
    is through negative actions.

6. Catherine West says:

As parents we tend to focus on the negative attrbutes of a person we are
    trying to keep our children from following. I found the concept of
    acknowledging the admirable traits of that person while encouraging our
    children not to follow the wron person interesting. I definitely agree
    that core values begin at home. That’s why modeling these values are so
    important.

7. Coley Hood says:

I think as parents it is important for us to recognize that children have
    the same ability to make their own choices as we do. We just have to be the
    strongest voice in their ear once they realize that!

8. Sharon Hopper says:

Adolescents are very susceptible to peer pressure. It’s important for
    parents to model good behavior, values and convictions because there will
    be a time when peer pressure means more to the adolescent than what the
    parents demonstate.

9. Joe Ace says:

Teens are highly impressionable and experience peer pressure frequently.
    It is amazing to people giving into influences that goes against their
    values. Many times teens want to fit in with a group of peers or may try
    or experiment with drugs because they think it looks cool in front of other
    peers.